Thursday, February 23, 2006

Sa-ft-ware Engineer's Journey Thru HELL

"yel kelsa madthiya ? "
" Infosys Uncle."
"Ohhh.....very good very good....sa-ft-ware hangadre...no problem, life channagi njoy mad bahudu "
" office yelli ide ?"
" Electronic City nalli uncle ".
" Ohhh very good....nice place i say ".

True...very true :) but my dear uncle, do u know that everyday a little bit of my life is being drained out ?
I wake up in the morning and my heart sinks when i realize that i have 2 whole hours of traffic b4 me. I am still coughing because all the carbon monoxide from yesterday's journey is still stuck in my lungs. No point ....I have no choice....so i get ready and reach the bus - stop to see the biiiiiiiig bus approaching......the passenger hungry bus...i can almost visualize the 2 horns of the bus devil smirking as it picks up weary "Saft-ware Engineers ".

" Adenu dodda samasye ? Actually nevella lucky kanro.....nidde maada bahudu".
Yeah right....with the pot-hole free roads, the dust free environment if u open ur window and the oxygen full environment if u keep it closed and with Lisa Sarah John giving diet tips in a Mallu accent along with Vasanthi on Radio Shitty ( yeah i stole this nice name for radio city from my friends blog) .....its all so very conducive for a nice nap huh.
Ok...i can somehow over come all this but u know humans can never sleep with a straight head. As i drift deeper into my nap, the neck refuses to hold my head straight and before i know it, there is a mini leaning tower of Pisa in the bus, the worst part being the head leans not on the window side but on the pretty girl sitting next to me.Hmmm.....u know whats next..... " Excuse me , Can you please sit straight :-)) ". Well....as if that was not embarassing enough, i even have to get out my hankey to wipe the drool that secretly escaped when my mouth opened without my permission during that short yet blissful 5 minutes of so-called-sleep.

With all this, when am in the doldrums, my friend whose office is within the city calls me up....." Hi dude, I was stuck in such a horrible traffic jam today.It took me 40 minutes to reach office man....Bangalore sucks. So wassup with you"
You jackass, it takes you just 40 minutes on a bad day? It takes me 90 minutes on a good day.

Hmmm....so i try not to crib about my plight, I tell myself good things " there are so many people without a job, at least I have one even if it means travelling so much everyday "....just when i begin to feel slightly better, we reach SILK BOARD JUNCTION and all the optimism in me gets crushed like an elephant stamping a poor lil ant...."THUD"........the sight is far from just depressing, infact depressing is like giving a compliment to the situation......its like u first bring big trucks, buses, lorries and tempos and fill up the road, then u bring in the cars and auto-rickshaws and any space that u now find, u fill them up with scooters, bikes, mopeds...hey dont forget cyclists, vendors, and pedestrians such that u cannot see even an inch of the road, u should begin to wonder if ur actually on the road or in mid-air.... and to this, you have to add the scorching sun and the
irritating sound of horns......Sigh....I close my eyes and wish for just one thing
" A Flying Carpet!".

3 Comments:

At 10:43 PM, Blogger Avi said...

I have lost all hopes ya. During the first few years I hoped for a flying carpet, but now I wish for a job inside the city.
Our older generation actually thinks that Infy makes us work long hours. The truth is, we work for 10 hrs and travel for 5 hours.
Yet, the name Infy gets people to think about the shares bestowed upon us and the stories of Narayana murthy turning a chauffer into a millionare. How do I tell them that I was not the chauffer?!?

This blog depicts what we go through every day. Yet I sense a intonation of mockery towards the poor and helpless saaftware engg working in tronic city. Specially when cming from a person who can get up at 8 and be in office by 9:15!

 
At 11:09 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Its Too good...i really liked the way u have expressed ur love:-) towards the autodrivers.
I think u have forgot one more thing , its abt the sweet noise:-) which autos make.

 
At 1:54 AM, Blogger aady3 said...

babe for the kind of money u geeks earn the traffic mess is ok for u

 

Post a Comment

<< Home